church of the Immacolata
Church of the Immacolata
of the Immacolata
of the Immacolata
Christ alla Colonna
Once dedicated to the Nativity (or Misericordia), the
church of the Immacolata, consecrated in 1908 by the Bishop
Monsignor Del Rio, had the charity of Saint Mary della Misericordia
and dell’ Annunziata, a Spanish heritage, later a Carafa one.
On the 4th of September 1784, following an royal
decree of Ferdinando IV, with the approval of the ecclesiastical
authorities, the arch-confraternity, whose name comes from the
Souls of Purgatory, has its home in this church.
The arch-confraternity which had previously been based
in the church of San Leo, owned many assets, according to an
inventory in 1717, following privileges endowed by the Popes
Pio VI, PioVII and Leone XII. In 1932, the brothers bought a
magnificent liturgical organ for the price of twenty-thousand
lire from the company G. Tamburini di Crema. For its first trial,
the Bishop Monsignor Chiappe was present and the renowned organist,
Padre Roberto Rossi O.F.M. (Ordine dei Frati Minori), was invited.
Padre Roberto Rossi had also been the organist at the H.R.H.
princess Mafalda di Savoia’s sumptuous wedding, he had been
chosen by H.M. the King for the execution of the organ music
in the royal chapel of Racconigi during the wedding ceremony.
Inside this sober and elegant Baroque style church,
which is rightly recognised as one of the most beautiful churches
in the province, a superb wooden statue of Christ alla Colonna
from the XVII century, and an icon in white marble Of the Vergine
Immacolata also from the XVII century, are kept.
It is possible to admire two lateral altars built in
blended marble, polychromatic, hand sculpted and dated 1779,
a balustrade made up of two parts, each with two lateral pillars
which enclose a sculpted and pierced pattern of spirals, and
a beautiful independent box organ dated 1771.